The Tiffany Diamond Arrives at the New Paris Flagship Store10. Juni 2014
The Tiffany Diamond is one of the most famous fancy yellow diamonds on earth. This symbol of Tiffany’s dazzling diamond heritage was discovered in the Kimberley mines of South Africa as a rough diamond of 287.42 carats. In 1878, founder Charles Lewis Tiffany purchased the stone and sent it to Paris where master craftsmen cut it to 128.54 carats. Christened the Tiffany Diamond, it astonished the world with its beauty. This priceless gemstone exemplifies Tiffany’s approach to diamond cutting: maximizing brilliance takes precedence over carat weight.
In 1961, Tiffany designer and Frenchman Jean Schlumberger created the Ribbon Rosette necklace as a setting for this important gemstone. Composed of over 1,000 diamonds, the piece was worn by Audrey Hepburn® in publicity photos for the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
For the 175th anniversary of the company’s founding in 2012, the Tiffany Diamond was reset in a magnificent necklace of over 100 carats of white diamonds and appeared at anniversary celebrations around the world.
And now, to mark the opening of the Paris flagship store and to honor the city in which it was created, the famed Tiffany Diamond is making a rare appearance at 62, Avenue des Champs-Elysées. From June 11 to mid-July the priceless stone is the centerpiece of an exhibition celebrating Tiffany’s legendary legacy.
Watch the video